Have you seen the ghost of Drury Lane?

A couple is said to have been walking past the Green one night when they saw a barefoot young girl wearing a summer party dress approaching them. She turned into Drury Lane. As it was cold they were concerned for her welfare so they followed her into Drury Lane to see if she needed help. To their surprise, they discovered that she had totally disappeared.
Later, they discovered other reports that the young girl had been seen walking in that area by witnesses as far back as the 1930s. Some say it is the apparition of a little girl who was tragically killed after being run over by a car whilst she was on her way back home from Sunday School.


Another, Terry Stevens, has related that during World War 2 his grandfather was on fire watch at the Chequers pub. His grandparents lived in Drury Lane and one night the grandmother ran down to the pub with the grandfather's evening meal which she didn't want to get cold. There were no street lights, so it was very dark. When she rounded the corner at the bottom of the lane a young man was standing at the bus stop (where the lay-by is now). He took one look at her as she loomed out of the dark, and horror-struck took to his heels and ran for his life. The grandmother thought it odd but thought no more about it. The next day she was told the story of a young lad being scared by a ghost rushing at him in the dark, or rather, just a pair of white shoes running towards him. The grandmother then realised it was her he had seen, dressed all in black except for a pair of white plimsoles. She never ever saw him at that bus stop again.


Prior to the building of Tithe Farm and Parkside estates, the road now known as Sundon Road, was surrounded by fields. A young man walked along the road at night towards East End when he suddenly saw a dark figure cross the road ahead of him. Reaching the spot he found that the figure had totally vanished.

A week later he approached the same spot where he had seen the figure the week before. Suddenly he was pushed hard in the back and he fell into the ditch along the side of the road. When he looked around, the attacker was nowhere to be seen.

Another dark night he again walked along the same road. This time he became spooked by a strange whistling tune that got closer and closer to him. He sprinted off to the street lights for safety.


19 May 1933

A young man who formerly served with the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment, and who was for about two years stationed at Kempston Barracks and was well known in Bedford and Kempston, is under arrest on a charge of having murdered his wife near Dunstable on Sunday evening. He is Sidney Wm. Fountain, aged twenty-nine, a gum-maker, employed at Waterlow's Printing Works, Dunstable, and a member of the Dunstable Excelsior Band.

The dead woman was Ethel Nina Louisa Fiuntain, aged twenty-three, who had been living in Bidwell Hill, Houghton Regis with her parents, and who was living at Hambling Plance, Dunstable, with her husband until a month ago, when they separated. Mrs Fountain was found stabbed and dying near a stile at the top of Drury Lane, Houghton regis, on Sunday evening. She leaves one child, aged three years.


Houghton Hall, by the Village Green, is said to have a ghostly apparition of Alice Brandreth wandering around the building.